this is a general checklist of items which should be periodically checked by residential hall personnel and maintained in proper order as necessary. this represents a majority of the routine items that inspectors will be evaluating during each fire/safety inspection of the hall. in any event, these items should be properly maintained at all times during the year when the building is occupied.
EXIT LIGHTS - In place, lighted, have all legend plates in place, directional arrows correctly positioned, etc.
STAIRWAY AND CORRIDOR LIGHTS - Shall be lighted and emergency lights charged and ready to use. Lights must not be covered or otherwise obstructed in any way which will unduly reduce the light at floor level.
DOORS - Must be operable from inside without the use of a key. Panic bars must operate with no more than 15 pounds of pressure.
FIRE EXTINGUISHERS -Shall be in proper locations, easily accessible, fully charged (pressure in “operable” range on gauge), bearing current vendor inspection and service card(s). Annual vendor inspection and maintenance is required on all fire extinguishers.
EXTINGUISHER CABINETS - Shall be closed, yet open easily. Extinguishers must be visible and accessible. Glass and all hardware in good condition.
FIRE ALARM - Bell gongs are in place, fire alarm boxes are accessible and items are not stacked within 17 inches of fire detectors where provided. The fire alarm system will be tested at the time of each fire drill. If alarm system is inoperable, a qualified representative of such equipment must do the following:
- Individually check each detection and alarm device for proper operation.
- Repair/replace defective or inoperative components.
- Check each circuit to assure continuity and proper operation. Repair as required.
- Check the operation of the control panel; repair as required to restore to proper operation.
- Check the condition of stand-by-power supply, if any. Repair/replace components as required to restore to proper operating condition.
- Furnish a written certification to the University detailing all work accomplished and declaring that the system is fully operational at the conclusion of the inspection.
EXITS - Interior and exterior exits shall be kept unobstructed at all times. All corridors and other exit pathways shall be kept free of any obstructions, including such temporary obstacles as litter, furniture, electrical cords or other items which might hinder the exit from the residence hall in emergency situations.
FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS - Flammable liquids of any type shall not be stored within the residential hall. All flammable paints, solvents, fuels and cleaning agents should be stored in an appropriate noncombustible storage building outside school housing.
appliances should bear the label of underwriter laboratories (ul) or factory mutual (fm) indicating that they have been tested and approved for safe operation.
all electrical appliances and cords should be inspected periodically to ensure proper and safe condition.
2020欧洲杯体育比分be sure that all electrical equipment factory-equipped with grounding (3-prong) cord and plug sets are connected to insure a proper grounding path at all times. never use an appliance that requires grounding unless a proper grounding path is established in one of the following manners:
- Direct connection to an approved grounding (three-hole) receptacle.
- Connection, where necessary on a temporary basis, to an approved grounding receptacle via a grounding extension cord set of sufficient conductor size for power supply needs.
- By connection to an approved grounding receptacle via an approved grounding adaptor which has been properly secured and tested to assure a complete and adequate grounding path.
all grounding wall receptacles and extension sets should be periodically tested for grounding ability. information on how to conduct such testing within school housing may be obtained by contacting the fire station located in the edmond area.
- All heating appliances such as irons, coffee pots, etc., should be placed on a noncombustible surface away from combustible materials. They should be disconnected when not in use and/or unattended.
- Fuse panels and electrical wiring should not be modified in any way except by licensed electricians. Fuse size should never be increased above the design rating of the circuit.
- Gasoline shall not be used as a cleaning agent. It shall not be stored or used within the school housing.
- Extensions cords should be approved by a recognized national testing center (UL, FM) or approved by a licensed electrician.
- Extension cords should not be used in place of needed additional permanent outlets. Extension strips with a built-in 15 amp circuit breaker are permitted.
Size of extension cord wire should be equal or larger than the size of the wiring of the appliance it is serving. Extension cords shall be used as a substitute for fixed wiring of the residence hall; where installed in run through holes in walls, ceiling or floors; where installed in run through doorways, windows or similar openings; where attached to building surfaces; where concealed behind walls, ceilings or floors.
There shall be no open splices, frayed wiring, cracked insulation, open taps, defective equipment or other indications of weakness permitted in wiring. In no case shall resident hall extension cords or appliance supply cords be without splice or tape. Damage extension or power supply cords shall be discarded. Damage to the plug sets of extension or power supply cords may be repaired by replacement with an identical or equivalent approved part, properly installed.
2020欧洲杯体育比分an extension cord shall be used to service only on appliance. extension cords and electrical wiring should not be draped over nails, pipes and fixtures nor should they be run under carpeting where unusual and unnoted wear may result.
- All light and other switches, receptacles, junction and other electrical distribution boxes shall have proper covers and cover plates at all times. Missing or damaged covers and cover plates shall be replaced immediately with approved replacement parts.
- Appliance power supply receptacles in the dorm should never be overloaded. Only one appliance should be connected to each outlet connection available, avoiding the use of cub taps and multiple-tap extension sets.
- All lighting fixtures shall be equipped with proper covers. Exposed light bulbs should have safety guards.
If a fire occurs: please notify Campus Police at (405) 425-55002020欧洲杯体育比分 or 911. Then let your hall director know.